Full Circle…

Written by Carmen on February 14th, 2012

What began as a dream over many years, as an adventure of a lifetime over two years ago, to where I am today—I’ve come full circle. The view is equally wonderful, my belongings are around me once again…it’s definitely been a “soul’s journey”.

I am finally grounded once again.  It feels wonderful to have familiar surroundings, my own possessions, with familiar faces in my life.  I set out “seeking the sunny side of the road” not sure if I would return here to this island paradise I can call home.  Fortunately it still is my home.  Given the places I saw, the countries and cultures I experienced, along with the journey I encountered after returning back to the islands and on the road—I’ve found home once again.

Some people don’t comprehend the desire to seek out the unknown nor, giving up all that one had accumulated over time, but it was the letting go I needed to do so I could redefine my life.   I sit now in a sweet little apartment that overlooks the harbor of Honolulu with the Waianae Mountain range in the distance.  It’s a far cry from my beautiful home I had created on a hillside that had similar views but I am extremely happy with my new life.

I threw a little housewarming party on Friday night with an intimate gathering of friends that had been there for me during my year in “transition” after returning to Hawaii.  It was called a “Pre-Valentine’s Pupu Party” and it turned out just wonderful.  I am blessed with treasured friendships, a large ohana (family) that lives on island, and a new career path—that feels perfect at this point in my life.  Yes, I am blessed in many ways…

So aloha oe’ my friends near and far!  Come see me here sometime, since I’m not in a rush to pack a bag and fly anywhere, anytime soon…but this too shall pass.

A hui ho! =)

11 Comments so far ↓

1. Lone Shrewsbury says:

Carmencita, this is wonderful – you write from the heart, no doubt about that. The islands are blessed to have you back as a resident. Good luck to you in all you do – and much much love.

2. David Israel says:

Happy Valentine’s day to you sweetheart! I know you spoke to Melanie last week but I’m offshore still and did not get to say hi. Looking forward to Mardi Gras in New orleans this time next week. Much Aloha my friend. Have a great week. Love.

David Israel

3. Dirk says:

Life can be a wonderful journey–I admire that you are making that possibility a reality. Welcome home!

4. Carmen says:

Thanks Dirk! It feels great to be back home in the islands…I have now really unpacked. =)

5. Janine says:

Hola, Aloha, Shalom, Ciao, Namaskaar, Konnichi wa, Acho saiin (that’s sindhi – my Indian family), Hallo and Gia, Carmen!

Thanks so much for keeping me on the list. As a fellow travel junkie, I feel all the ups and downs and delights of your reports. Sights, sounds and conversations become a part of you that you carry around for life. I believe in experiencing as much of the world as I can, mostly because it’s just plain fun like being in a candy shop, but also because when we have a wide perspective we see the world in a different, humbling light and really appreciate all the things we have. My biggest challenge once home is to stay balanced as I continue to nurture my global circle of friends.

Sending strength your way as you continue your journey!
    -Janine (Naina’s little sister)

6. Flor says:

Feliz dia de la amistad para ti prima, que la pases bien, saludos!

7. Line says:

Hi there. It is nice to receive messages from you.

All is well here. Ghislain and I haven’t gona away for Christmas for the first time this year and regretted it. We are not use to being here for the holiday season. That won’t happen again. We are itching for spring but more so for the end of the school year on the third week of June because we are backpacking through Spain and Portugal for 6 weeks. I can’t wait. I started looking into it on the internet just to get an idea of the itinerary possible. I’ll keep you posted.

And you, how are things? How is the real estate working for you? Any more travelling plans? I’ll wait to hear from you. Take care

8. Ray says:

Very nice writings as usual!
    Love the Full Circle!
    And can tell your smilling!
    Take care and talk to you soon.
    Ray…

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

9. Annella says:

Hi Aunty Carmen, Happy Valentines Day!!!
    Dakoda threw my phone in a cup of water:) so it hasn’t been working well. I’ll be working on friday… I’ve been working more than usual lately cause were short handed. CU soon?!

10. Carmen says:

Dear amigos! Thanks so much for all your kind words–it makes me smile big time hearing from you folks I met while traveling, from years of friendships, to family…as I said “I am blessed”…

11. Dimple says:

Hi Carmen,
    I just wanted send a quick note to say hello and that I have thoroughly enjoyed following on your journey and hearing about your great experiences. It’s good to hear you are back in Hawaii and settling back in.

I was actually planning on a trip to Panama and thought of you recently (We ultimately changed our plans and are now heading to Belize and Guatemala).

Anyways, just wanted to say aloha and wish you luck as you start this new endeavor with your new career!
    -Dimple